Cilj predmeta: The aim of the course is to get acquainted with the branch of conservation biology, which deals with the study and protection of biodiversity at all levels. Getting to know the main threats to biodiversity and understanding the different causes of biodiversity loss. Understanding the importance of preserving biodiversity and getting to know the ways to protect it. Knowledge and application of the system for monitoring the state of conservation of species.
Sadržaj predmeta: 1. Introduction to conservation biology (purpose and goals, basic concepts, historical overview, EU Biodiversity Strategy until 2030)
2. Biodiversity patterns, biodiversity and spatial scale
3. Threats to biodiversity - habitat fragmentation (basic concepts and consequences of habitat fragmentation, corridors and their importance, central vs. peripheral populations, "stepping stone" habitats)
4. Threats to biodiversity - the issue of invasive species
5. Threats to biodiversity - climate change
6. The concept of species in conservation biology ("Keystone, Indicator, Umbrella, Priority, Flagship, Ecosystem engineers")
7. Protection of species in situ
8. Ex situ species protection (what is ex situ conservation and when is it necessary, examples of ex situ conservation, reintroduction, translocation)
9. Conservation genetics (basic terms and areas of conservation genetics, importance of genetic diversity in biodiversity protection, genetics and conservation of species - conservation units)
10. Problems of small populations (types of extinction, vortex extinction - extinction vortex) 11. Endemics (types of endemics, cryptic species, ecologically isolated areas, protection of endemics)
12. Biodiversity quantification - Species richness index, Shannon's H index, Evenness, Abundance, EDGE system. Disadvantages of measures for biodiversity.
13. Conservation biology in urban areas (basic concepts, e.g. "Green corridors", "Brownfields", conservation measures in urban areas and examples, "Citizen science")
14. Legislative framework and conservation biology (CITES, Action Plans, Obligations to monitor the state of conservation of biodiversity components and reporting in accordance with EU Directives, communication with stakeholders)
15. National programs for monitoring the state of species conservation in Croatia - monitoring programs (main parts of the program for monitoring the state, parameters for monitoring the state of species conservation - distribution, population, habitat for the species and prospects for the future, collection and analysis of relevant data for monitoring the state)
. Obvezna literatura:
1. Sodhi, N.S., Ehrlich P.R. (2010) Conservation Biology for All. Oxford University Press. (pdf)
2. Pullin, A.S. (2013) Conservation Biology. Cambridge University Press.
. Dopunska literatura:
Van Dyke, F. (2008) Conservation Biology: Foundations, Concepts, Applications. 2nd. edition. Springer, 478 pp
Frankham, R., Ballou, J. D., & Briscoe, D. A. (2002) Introduction to Conservation Genetics. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, UK, 617.
Primack RB (2010): Essentials of Conservation Biology, 5th ed. Sinauer Associates, 601 str.
Relevantni znanstveni članci i zakonski propisi.